Let’s explore subsistence vs commercial farming in agriculture. In this post, we will learn about the differences, advantages, and disadvantages of each type of farming and some of the problems each farming type faces.
Subsistence Agriculture: Imagine it as your backyard garden. 🏡 Farmers grow just enough food for their families. It’s like a small-scale operation.
Commercial Agriculture: Think of it as a big farm business. 🏢 Farmers grow loads of stuff to sell in the market. They’re in it for the money! 💰
Break Down Of Subsistence and Commercial Farming
- Farmers grow food for their family’s tummies. 🍅
- Usually small plots of land.
- Less use of fancy machines.
- Big farms, like mega fields of corn!
- They’re all about selling, selling, selling!
- High-tech machines make life easier.
Difference between Subsistence vs Commercial Farming
Subsistence Agriculture Characteristics:
- Small scale, like a home garden.
- Focus on feeding the family.
- Simple tools and tech.
Commercial Agriculture Characteristics:
- Massive farms, acres on acres!
- Profit is the goal.
- Usage of High-tech and heavy machinery.
Pros and Cons of Subsistence vs Commercial Farming
Subsistence Agriculture Advantages:
- Family always have enough food to feed themselves.
- Less stress about selling stuff.
Subsistence Agriculture Disadvantages:
- Not much money left over.
- It can’t expand easily.
Commercial Agriculture Advantages:
- Big profits! 💵
- Can invest in heavy machinery.
Commercial Agriculture Disadvantages:
- Super competitive.
- It can harm the environment. 🌍
Problems of Subsistence vs Commercial Farming
Subsistence Agriculture Problems:
- Limited income.
- Needs manual labour.
- Sometimes, not enough food is produced.
Commercial Agriculture Problems:
- Overusing resources.
- Requires huge startup capital
- Lack of proper storage facilities.
- Market price fluctuations.
Importance of Farming:
Farming is not merely about putting food on the table. It plays a pivotal role in the global economy. Agriculture is a significant source of employment, especially in developing countries, where the majority of the population relies on farming for their livelihoods. Moreover, agriculture contributes substantially to a nation’s GDP and exports.
You may also like:
- Can WAEC results be sold or bought?
- Can someone write WAEC for me?
- Can I Combine SSCE Results like Waec, Neco, Gce, and Nabteb?